Friday, August 7, 2009

The following exercise is borrowed from Guerrilla Learning: How to Give Your Kids a Real Education With or Without School by Grace Llewellyn.

List everything about which you know enough to contribute significantly to a conversation on the subject or to write a pithy booklet called "The Beginner's Guide to_____."

Now write down everything you're good at - all your skills, anything from designing Web pages, to changing a diaper, to writing a newspaper story, to building a fence.

Now take a moment to consider whether your lists are longer or shorter than you would have expected. (Or ask several people who have very different school backgrounds from you to make their own lists, and compare the length and quality of your lists to theirs.)

Next, put an asterisk by each of the items that you learned mainly in school and college.

Finally, consider what percentage of your skills and expertise you've picked up in school and what outside of school.

My "reply" to follow will be my list, and I will head it with my educational background. I invite all my readers to do the same so that we can compare not only the wide variety of skills and knowledge we all must use during our days, but what proportion of those skills and knowledge were acquired through formal schooling.

4 comments:

  1. Educational background: I have a Bachelor's Degree in Social Work as well as being certified by a national organization as a childbirth educator.

    Subjects of knowledge:
    Pregnancy
    Childbirth
    Midwifery
    Breastfeeding
    Human Development (physical and psychological) *
    Feminism
    Harry Potter
    Basic human anatomy/physiology *
    Modern American television
    Gardening with Herbs and other Useful Plants
    Aromatherapy
    Homeopathic Remedies
    Catering/Foodie Topics (but not wine)


    Skills:
    Baking/cooking
    Gardening/landscaping
    Teaching
    Assess/manage group dynamics *
    Conflict resolution
    Creative writing *
    Childcare (inc. hygiene, discipline, etc.)
    Swimming
    Typing * (I actually flunked Typing, but I should give credit for getting me started)
    Moving house
    Child car seat installation
    Emotional manipulation
    Drink mixing (an argument could be made that I learned this in college...)
    Insect assassination
    Je parle un peu de Francais *
    Shoulder/neck massage
    Singing * (again, giving credit to my choir directors for the technical knowledge)

    I'm sure there's more, but this will do for now. Please participate if you have the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll respond completely when I have more time but why am I just a wee bit scared that one of your skills is "emotional manipulation"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I think most of us have that skill, it's just a matter of whether we use it consciously or not. I recognize my skill and generally try NOT to use it except on my close family. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, here goes.

    Educational Background: BA in English/Creative Writing, WA state insurance licenses/certifications

    Subjects of Knowledge:

    The Bible
    Tenets of Christianity
    Political Science
    U.S. History
    Church history
    Pregnancy
    Pre-eclampsia
    Childbirth
    Breastfeeding
    Reality TV
    Twilight (the book series, not the time of day)
    Country Music
    Car Insurance
    Home Insurance
    Personal Insurance
    Health Insurance
    Personal Finance

    Skills:

    Cooking
    Creative Writing*
    Childcare (wouldn't conflict resolution be lumped into here also?)
    Driving
    Making laundry soap/dishwasher soap/household cleansers
    Diaper changing
    Subrogation
    Biblical eschatology
    Bathroom cleaning
    Bed making (hospital corners, y'all)
    Joke-telling

    ReplyDelete